Thursday 17 January 2013

DIY Post Box Toy

I don't need to read parenting books to work out Munchkin Features has reached the age where she loves 'posting' things, all I have to do is open my mouth while she's eating and see her delight when she pops a grape or blueberry or pre-masticated piece of cheese on toast in my trap. 

For a while I've been meaning to create a shape sorter posting toy using a box and our blocks, mostly because all the shape sorters at the op shops are missing too many shapes. I very rarely buy new-in-their-box toys, come to think of it, I think I have only bought her three new toys since she was born: Sophie the Giraffe, a 'teaching clock' and set of blocks in a trolley. Even though she is a well-designed toy, the giraffe was probably was me succumbing to kiddy consumerism; all the babies have a 'Sophie' and you begin to feel a little odd without one. The clock and blocks are both nice wooden Pintoy toys I got on Brands Exclusive when she was still too young to play with toys. Again they are lovely, durable toys with good play longevity (the 8 year old nephew quite liked playing with the clock and the blocks too) BUT I think I was probably suckered in by the sale. I love seeing my child react to new toys as much as any parent, but I prefer to source them from op shops, garage sales, council clean ups and the odd gift from friends or family. (I'm sure ebay, gumtree and freecycle would be great too!)

Anyway looking at the boxes I had available I couldn't help but notice that the handle holes looked like little post box flaps and so I had some fun creating this little letter box!




A few days later and Munchkin Features is still happily entertained a few times a day by her post box!


Here's how to make your own. Great for ages 1+ as once they've mastered posting, they can then move on to imaginative play. Or what about writing letters to your littlie as they are learning to read so they can discover them in the morning, or when they get home from school?


You will need:
  • 1 study box, preferably with handle holes.
  • masking tape
  • stanley knife/box cutter
  • a roll of wrapping paper
  • a roll of clear contact
  • sharpie
  • something to decorate your box with like alphabet paper
  • old pill boxes that fit through the hole
  • brown craft paper


  • Step 1: Using the picture as a guide mark an ark on each end of the box around the handle, and along the sides of the box from the bottom of the ark at each end. (Mine is a bulk buy nappy wipes box)


Step 2: Cut out the section of the box you have marked above the ark on each end. (leave the sides)

Step 3: Fold the cardboard along the lines you've drawn on the side of the box so that the meet the ark, overlapping in the middle at the top. Use masking tape to keep it in place..I used quite a bit.

 

Step 4: Cut a flap...my box had a ready made guide.

Step 5: Cover the middle of the box in wrapping, some nice fire engine red would be great! I only han polkadots so that's what I used! I jazzed it up by spelling out 'POST' with alphabet wrapping paper. I also think it'd look great with a red base and jazzed up with vintage postcards and air mail envelopes! I then covered it with clear contact. You could always just use contact. 

Step 6: Trace end shape onto wrapping and mark and cut out handles and flap. Cover ends with paper and contact. (Because my contact was old and not too sticky I added some clear tape to the edges to improve the seal)


Oops, ran out of wrapping...better make a 'feature side'



Step 7: Using the off-cuts of cardboard, and some paracetamol boxes wrapped in craft paper, I drew up some letters and parcels addressed to various Playschool, nursery rhyme, and children's song characters. I love having fun with this stuff, for example:

Mr Grey Elephant
One Balancing Place
String City
1234 



And voila. A post box posting toy that I created from things I had lying around!

And I think Munchkin enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment