Sunday 3 February 2013

A Room of One's Own

Virginia Woolf said "women need money and a room of one's own". Without googling I'm pretty sure she was referring to an independent female domain where a woman could be free from the constraints of a patriarchal society. As for me I just want a space not dominated by toys where I will be free to create....money  wouldn't be bad either.

Over the last fortnight I have laboured establish a 'studio' (now that sounds a bit la-di-da doesn't it) which would be an inspiring and practical safe haven for all my creative pursuits.

My goals were to:
  • Not spend too much money
  • Organise my stash and supplies
  • Create a space I would be happy to leave the door open on
  • Not spend too much money

So my dream studio would be something like this...


 
Or this...

Mlle Magpie 

I like the base of sleek white modern IKEA shelving combined with a few retro items in the first room and I like the rustic touches in the second room. And so long as we're in fantasy land throw in a huge light filled space, fat old wooden floorboards, a pendant light, some 1960's mod Danish furniture, some pastel pink and aqua and some contemporary geometric prints and the fantasy is complete.

1 - Studio on Tumbler
2 - Torie Jayne 'My Craft Room (insanely organised supplies)
3 - Bare Wunderbar (Danish blog)

 
But remember goal number 1? So I had to come up with a more prudent version. I did say it wasn't going to be a magazine makeover.

 
The transformation lead inevitably to the op shop I found a whole stash of tin garden pots. I also grabbed an old spice rack for organising supplies but ultimately I didn't use it, so it's still awaiting it's new lease on life. Then began a process of cleaning which was a little but like taking two steps forward and one step backward. I always seem to have to make mess in order to organise a mess. In fact in probably was more like two steps backwards for each forward because Munchkin Features kept invading to pull all the books I'd just shelved categorically out of the bookcase. But little by little I made progress in the organisation stakes. I did a lot of 'shopping my home' for things I could use as storage; tin cans, glass jars, a little crate, part of the old entertainment unit, some baskets, a vintage briefcase, a wire bin, a wooden box and a chair all found a new home and purpose in my new studio. But all that folding and piling and sorting so much STUFF drove me a bit insane and so even though it wasn't strictly necessary I picked up some pretty paper one weekend, and at a final op shop found another mini crate. The rest of my prettying up was either printed off the internet, came from elsewhere in the house, or I found in my stash like a few old calenders for some pics.
So here is my new CLEAN and ORGANISED studio!
 
 

 
 
 
 
I think my dresser is crying out for a makeover (like a creamy outside and pastel pink and mint on the shelves) but because we're going for "Perfectly Adequate Homes" rather than "Better Homes Than Yours (you better splash some cash and keep up)" I will leave said dresser as is.
 
So what did I spend? Other than hours staring at the mess in despair I spent cash on the following items:
 
5 tin containers @ $2 each = $10
Spice rack = $2
Vintage spool papers 2 @ $1.50 = $3
mini crate and ceramic pots = $2
Paper and ink for printing = no more than $2

And that's it! Everything else was either reused or recycled.So in total I still spend less than $20 and I really feel like I have a room I just want to escape into my imagination in. If anyone needs me I'll be in my studio.


 

1 comment: