Tuesday 19 February 2013

The Blog Posts That Got Away

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." - Henry David Thoreau

Recently my mind has been awash with creative intentions. Sometimes I wish I could switch my design mind off and just look at a piece of fabric and see a nice composition of colours, a vintage sheet and see an out dated piece of linen, a collection of jars and see a collection of jars, an old book and see a book. But these items just have a way of setting my design mind adrift and the compulsion to create and upcycle sets in. I can barely take breath between the waves of inspiration that seem to crash one on top of another and I end up lost in this ocean of intended projects. Recently I have been craving the solid, grounding feeling that comes from simply completing something.

Take this blog for example. In my mind I have written dozens of blog posts since I last actually posted.

There was the one about the joys of creating and receiving home made gifts.

Such as these cushions I made for my Mum for Christmas using iron on transfers and applique...



And my delight upon receiving these curtains she had made me in return...


There was the blog post about how to make your own luggage tags...



There was the 'How To Applique' blog post.



There was the posters I made blog post...

 
 


There was the hanging pictures and washi tape (read cheap electrical tape) hack blog post.


There was the post describing the vulnerability of trying to sell your hobby creations, there was the blog post outlining my new system for meal planning involving fun names to add structure to the week (Mince meat Monday, Tight Tuesday, Wok on Wednesday, Three Veg Thursday, Free-grain Friday, Stock up Saturday, Sort it out Sunday), there was the blog post about opportunity shopping, when I thought "she'll be right" and ended up with poo smeared all down the front of my white top, there was the blog post about how to turn a Little Golden Book into a decorative banner...

But have I written any of these blog posts? No. Rather than blogging I have been watching Munchkin Features learn to walk, saving her life a couple of times a week, launching my Facebook business, making new local friends, wiping sticky fingers, battling to get out the door on time, beginning to run a play group, learning how to share a car with Justice Boy (did I mention battling to get out the door on time?), op shopping, putting my name down for relief teaching at the local high school, and beginning a whole raft of creative projects.

Too many projects. Too many almost completed projects. And the problem with almost completed projects is that they kind of haunt me until they are done. And there are enough unfinished things around here to make my studio a pretty scary old room.

One solution might be to give up on the blogging and just focus on finishing things. The problem is I actually kind of love writing. So much so that when I got the opportunity this morning to drop off the Munchkin with her Babushka I thought I want to go to a cafe and WRITE! So here I am sitting in a cafĂ© and I am writing. And I am sitting. And I am writing. And I am still sitting. And I haven't been interrupted. And I am still sitting. And I am still writing. And I have still not been interrupted. There is a certain joy at the simplicity of just doing this one thing at the one time rather than attempt to talk on the phone, pick up toys, find food for the child, and do pelvic floor exercises all at the same time.

And now I am going to sit here and do this...


I plan to blog again next Tuesday but hope to squeeze in another post on the above earrings before then. I couldn't stop myself making a whole bunch of these they are so simple.

Is there a blog post from the list of potential blog posts you would like to read?







1 comment:

  1. This line made me laugh: "There is a certain joy at the simplicity of just doing this one thing at the one time rather than attempt to talk on the phone, pick up toys, find food for the child, and do pelvic floor exercises all at the same time."

    And then it made me do some pelvic floor exercises.

    I LOVE your menu idea (I have a *thing* for alliterative planning: http://theelbowsofbelle.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/conundrum.html) - I may have to instigate something similar at our place...

    I vote for the vulnerability/selling hobby creations post. :)

    ReplyDelete