Monday 7 January 2013

Day 1: Arnold the Penguin

As Munchkin Feature's birthday approaches so does my desire to create something as a special gift for her. Something that might become sentimental I suppose. Originally I was thinking of making a teepee, but as I began to realise how big the project might be I thought it would be wiser to leave that project to a time when she might actually appreciate having a teepee!

Then I came across a toy pattern book my mum bought called Hop Skip Jump (read Fiona's blog here). The book is full of adorable toys crafted out of woolen jumpers, linen and scraps of feature fabrics. Fiona's toys are so sweet you feel you could almost just take her book to bed with you for a snuggle.

So yesterday I pinched the book and armed with supplies from my stash I have succeeded today in creating not one, but TWO huggable little penguins called Arnold.

 
They were surprisingly simple! Seemed just as easy to make two at once, so I'll try and sell my spare in my Facebook shop when I finally build up enough of a nerve to launch it.

The body is constructed from a cardigan I bought years ago, that I never wore, but couldn't bring myself to part with because the fabric was so nice. I used scraps for the belly and the legs/beaks, quilting fabric for the wings, and old cuffs for the beanies.


The good news is if Munchkin Features doesn't want to play with Arnold, it just means more cuddles for me!

1 comment:

  1. These are super cute! And I can't believe MF is nearly 1! The year's flown by.

    ReplyDelete